Thomas acts for Executors, beneficiaries and claimants involved in disputes relating to Wills, estates and trusts. He works with clients to resolve matters without Court intervention and also assists clients navigate more formal processes through the Supreme Court of Tasmania. Thomas has experience in advising clients on the merits of commercial disputes, has acted for clients involved in contested probate disputes, and with claims made under the Testator’s Family Maintenance Act 1912 (Tasmania).
Thomas is a graduate of the University of Tasmania having graduated with Honours, attaining a major in Mandarin. He has studied abroad in Mainland China in Xi’an and Taipei, Taiwan. Thomas holds a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice and is also presently undertaking officer training in the Army Reserve.
Thomas is skilled at assisting clients to resolve disputes involving Wills and estates, through employing negotiation strategies and Court processes. He enjoys applying skills learnt throughout his professional career to pragmatically and decisively solve client’s problems.
Recent projects have included:
- advising clients on potential settlement offers
- advising clients on the merits of mediation to avoid unnecessary litigation
- briefing counsel on estate litigation matters
- research on the merits of charities commencing estate litigation to receive charitable bequests
- drafting and negotiating deeds of agreement in complex estate disputes
- the successful mediation of a contested estate
- advising a client left without provision on making a claim from an estate worth in excess of $2 million dollars
- advising clients in making and addressing claims pursuant to the Testator’s Family Maintenance Act 1912 (Tas)
- advising clients about issues of testamentary capacity and undue influence
Thomas is a member of the Law Society of Tasmania.
Clients or other advisers seeking to instruct or refer to Thomas may contact him by the contact details and options on this page.
By appointment only.