Peter Worrall is one of Tasmania’s most senior estate and commercial lawyers, and is a Director of Worrall Lawyers. Peter leads a strong estate planning, commercial, tax and trust practice with senior estate planning lawyer Kimberley Martin, commercial lawyer David Bailey, and lawyers Imogen Cook. He also leads one of Tasmania’s strongest probate practices with senior probate lawyer Kate Moss, and lawyer Cameron Topfer and two senior probate assistants.
His main personal interests in law are in general commercial legal work, and in estate planning (including wills, executors, estates and trusts). His clients include many significant trusts, estates, private clients, trustees, medium sized family businesses and associations.
Peter is a graduate of the University of Melbourne, and has practised in Tasmania for over
38 years. Peter was appointed as a Notary Public by the Supreme Court of Tasmania in 1993. He is on the Advisory Committee of the College of Law Masters of Applied Law program in Wills and Estates.
Recent projects have included
- compliance advice for a very large trust
- opinion on trustee obligations
- sale of a major business
- complex estate planning
Recent papers have included
- writing and delivery of paper: Testamentary Trusts – Practical Tips on Structuring and Drafting, Melbourne, February 2017, Television Education Network Conference
- writing and delivery of paper: Executors: Just who should they be and how should they act, Melbourne, March 2016, Television Education Network Conference
- writing and delivery of paper: Estate Planning – Risky Business: Will Mr Calvert’s litigation result in an extended duty of care?, Queensland, March 2016, Television Education Network Conference
- writing and delivery of paper: Wills Preparation After Badenach, to be delivered at Gray’s Inn, London in September 2017
- delivered papers at conferences in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania on the practical aspects of Estate Planning, Estate and Trust Administration, and Executors
- a seminar to a local probus group on Wills and Estates
- author of the Chapter on Estate Planning in the Australian Succession Law, a three volume loose leaf service published by Thomson Reuters
Peter is a member of the Law Society of Tasmania and the Law Institute of Victoria. Peter is also a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), a past chair of STEP Tasmania, and past Director of STEP Australia. He is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, and is a non- executive Governor of the Australia and New Zealand College of Notaries and the representative for Tasmania, the Australian Capital Territory, and the Northern Territory of that organisation. Peter sits on the board of a number of private companies which benefit from his expertise and experience.
Peter has presented to many client, community and professional groups, and written over 30 professional articles and papers for conferences. He has contributed heavily to continuing education in his profession since 1977. He is a regular contributor to established continuing education programs for Estate Planning lawyers, including contributing 3-4 times a year to a national program, through a major commercial supplier of educational programs for the legal profession, and through STEP Tasmania, a professional group that provides educational programs to lawyers, financial planners and accountant and related wealth and asset advisors.
A selection of professional papers, text books and articles that Peter has authored or contributed to can be downloaded or purchased (where applicable) from this website.
Clients, or lawyers, financial planners, or accountants seeking to instruct or refer to Peter may contact him by the contact details and options on this page.
By appointment only.