Kate Hanslow B.A. LL.B. (Hons), TEP, is an estate planning, and estate and trust litigation lawyer at Senior Associate level. Kate practices closely with Sam McCullough in the Estate and Trust Disputes practice area, and with Sam McCullough and Kimberley Martin in the Estate Planning practice area. Kate concentrates in the areas of Estate Planning, Estate and Guardianship Disputes, Superannuation Disputes, and Estate and Trust Disputes, having done so since being admitted to practice in 2007. Kate has developed a strong expertise in these complex areas of law. She has successfully represented private clients in the Supreme Court of Tasmania and the Guardianship and Administration Board, as well as having acted for executors, beneficiaries, and claimants in sensitive family mediations dealing with distribution of significant family wealth.
Kate is a graduate of the University of Tasmania with Honours, and holds a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice. Kate is a graduate and member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Kate is particularly suited to clients looking for an approachable lawyer who has high level capacity to work through complex legal issues with clients in a way that they understand, empowering the client to make their own informed decisions. She understands that every family is different, and every client wants a personalised approach to their matter that takes into account their particular circumstances and motivations. She is efficient, and comprehensive in the advice that she provides to private clients.
Recent projects have included
- complex advice about business succession involving company and trust structures
- advice about trust capital distributions upon death
- application to Court for advice and directions on behalf of Administrators of an estate
- research and advice about renunciations by Executors
- research and advice about revocations of Grants of Letters of Administration
- successfully completing settlement negotiations in relation to an alleged severance of joint tenancy
- negotiating and documenting a complex family settlement of disputes involving personal estate assets in addition to trust and company assets, and a self managed superannuation fund
- advice to family members seeking appointment as an Administrator and Guardian via the Guardianship and Administration Board
- advising family members in relation to an alleged fraudulent Enduring Power of Attorney and misuse of powers
- drafting complex Wills including life estates and other limited forms of use of property, testamentary discretionary trust with particular features, and adjustments of interests amongst beneficiaries
Kate is a member of the Law Society of Tasmania.
Kate is currently a Director of the National Heart Foundation, and is Chair of the Heart Foundation Tasmania Division.
Kate is a regular presenter to community groups and other professional groups in-house and externally. Kate frequently travels to Launceston, Devonport and Burnie to present to the Association of Independent Retirees (AIR) Northern Branches, and is a contributor to their newsletters.
A selection of professional papers, text books and articles that Kate has authored or contributed to can be downloaded or purchased (where applicable) from this website.
Clients or other lawyers, financial planners, or accountants seeking to instruct or refer to Kate may contact her by the contact details and options on this page.
By appointment only.